Below is a brief checklist of questions to help you and your family find the best assisted living community.
- Does it have a friendly atmosphere?
- Are the staff friendly and kind?
- Is it easy to navigate and find your way around?
- Are restrooms senior-friendly with grab-bars?
- Are residents content and engaged?
- Are meals delicious, nutritious and presented well?
- Does it have good lighting to prevent falls?
- Is it fire safe, with sprinklers, smoke detectors and a fire plan?
- Does it have clearly marked exits?
- Are there doorways that are wide enough for walkers and wheelchairs?
- Can residents individually control thermostat in rooms?
- Is there a care plan for each resident?
- Are medical services available?
- Is there care for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias?
- Are common outdoor areas adequate?
- Are nurses on staff?
- Is there scheduled transportation for residents?
- Is the location convenient?
You can find more questions and information about Assisted Living at this link.